We told you how to cook the perfect hamburger, and if you’re a seafood lover, these lobster rolls are a must see. That stuff’s cool, but people want sides. Let’s face it, that’s what the other side of the plate was made for, and no one wants to look down and see an empty section where a delicious side should be.
No worries, we’re here to enhance your food lineup with this simple-to-make pasta salad, complete with veggies and imitation crabmeat. The best part? This is an easily customizable dish. Prefer real crabmeat? Go for it! Want to substitute zucchini for the cucumbers? That’s a great idea. Put your stamp on this salad, then set it on the table and watch people swarm the tray until every bit of pasta is gone.
OK, let’s make this! Prep time? Thirty minutes.
Whole Wheat Pasta Salad Ingredients
- 1-2 boxes of Whole wheat pasta: We choose whole wheat/whole grain/brown rice pasta for the health benefits, but if good old flour works for you, it works for us.
- Veggies: 1 can of Black olives (buy pre-sliced), carrots, 2 cucumbers, broccoli florets
- 2 bags of imitation crab meat: This stuff is cheap, pre-cooked and the perfect filler, but real crabmeat or grilled chicken tastes even better. Besides, what’s in imitation crabmeat? Trick question. Don’t look!
- Italian dressing
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
Whole Wheat Pasta Salad Recipe
Boil a pot of water over medium heat. When the water boils, sprinkle some salt if you prefer, then add the pasta and cook to your preference. We prefer al dente, but perhaps you enjoy mushy pasta. There’s no wrong answer.
Carefully pour the pasta into a strainer to remove excess water, then set aside. Leave this in the sink, or put a piece of paper towel beneath the strainer to avoid a pool of water on the counter.
Chop the cucumbers into bite-sized pieces. The same goes for the carrots, and if choking is a concern, consider boiling these carrots ahead of time.
Separate the head of broccoli into florets and chop into smaller pieces. You can also pick up a bag of broccoli florets at the store.
Cut the imitation crabmeat into bite-sized chunks. Even the pre-cut imitation crab is oftentimes too big. We always want to get as much from one bag as possible.
Combine all of the aforementioned ingredients into a bowl or serving tray.
Now comes the tricky part. This is one of those home dishes that receives a little bit of this and a squirt of that. We suggest…
- Add 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Drizzle the olive oil, but don’t go overboard
- Shake some Adobo throughout the salad, but not too much because you’ll up the salt content.
- With the Italian dressing, you want to coat the salad, not drown the ingredients. Well, this all depends on how much you and your guests love dressing. No judgment. It’s delicious!
- Shake in some oregano
- Add the black pepper
Mix all of these ingredients with a serving spoon, and that’s it! You’re ready to serve this delicious whole wheat pasta with imitation crabmeat salad! Because this is easy to make, you now have more time to keep an eye on the grill and entertain your guests.
What’s your favorite side to eat at BBQs? Grilled corn? BBQ beans? Macaroni salad? Great! Now we’re hungry.
If you need another salad, try our grilled chicken with fresh mozzarella recipe.